Occupy Movement Gains Momentum | The Jackal

10 Oct 2011

Occupy Movement Gains Momentum

Being that the mainstream media has done very little reporting on the topic, you'd be excused for not knowing that there's a huge groundswell of free people around the world protesting against the current destructive system. Many are simply fed up with the corporate agenda, and have started to organize en mass to express their wish for positive change.

There is no doubt that the Occupy Wall Street protest that started a few weeks ago is growing into a huge movement that now includes many cities around the world and hundreds of thousands of people.

Police in New York have harassed the peaceful protestor’s, with many hundreds arrested.  This does not seem to have dampened their spirits though, with numbers in recent days growing markedly.

They have one common goal: to end political and corporate corruption. Occupy Wall Street is also protesting against big business' influence on government, exploitation of the environment and the income disparity between the richest 1% and the other 99% of citizens. "We are the 99 percent" has been a popular catch phrase used by the protesters.
Occupy Dame Street in Dublin, Ireland 08-10-11
A few days ago we had an Australian example of the type of corruption the protesters are rallying against. The Sydney Morning Herald reported:
Some Reserve Bank's most senior officials were involved in covering up extensive evidence of corruption at the central bank's subsidiaries, Note Printing Australia and Securency.

An investigation has found top Reserve officials suppressed damaging information in 2007 and 2008 about the payment of secret commissions to middlemen hired by the Reserve firms to win bank-note contracts in Nepal and Malaysia.

Among officials who knew of the serious corruption concerns are the deputy governor Ric Battellino, a former deputy governor, Graeme Thompson, and former NPA boss Chris Ogilvy.
This revelation was met with astonishment by the Green party of Australia, with Adam Bandt asking the House of Representatives economics committee to recall the Reserve Banks governor, Glenn Stevens, and other bank officials to explain how these new revelations sat with their previous evidence.
Protesters occupy Wall Street, New York 06-10-11
Despite the length and amount of people involved in the protests, there's been an almost total blackout on the Global Occupy Movement by mainstream media. This shows that many media outlets are totally owned by those with the most to fear from the power of the people.

The scale of the peaceful protests are such that they could put an end to the underhanded practices of dishonest politicians, corrupt corporatism and much of the dysfunctional financial sector responsible for the worlds financial crises. It's something those in power of our mainstream media know all too well, and that others around the world have started to comment on. Today the ABC reported:
An Iranian military commander said Sunday that the protests spreading from New York's Wall Street to other U.S. cities are the beginning of an "American Spring," likening them to the uprisings that toppled Arab autocrats in the Middle East.

Gen. Masoud Jazayeri of Iran's Revolutionary Guard said the protests against corporate greed and the gap between rich and poor are a revolution in the making that will topple what he called the Western capitalist system.

The Occupy Wall Street movement started in New York City last month and is spreading to other parts of the country. The loosely affiliated movement is peacefully protesting the power of the financial and political sectors. Jazayeri said President Barack Obama's election promises of change have reached a dead end.

"The failure of the U.S. president to resolve the Wall Street crisis will turn this economic movement into a political and social movement protesting the very structure of the U.S. government," the official IRNA news agency quoted Jazayeri as saying Sunday.

"A revolution and a comprehensive movement against corruption in the U.S. is in the making. The last phase will be the collapse of the Western capitalist system," he said, according to IRNA.
I have to agree with Jazayeri there... The new American Revolution could indeed spell the end of Obama's presidency. Hopefully it will also drastically change the capitalist system that is responsible for so much misery in the world.

Learn more about the Occupy Movement in New Zealand and the protest organized for the 15 October, by visiting the Facebook website: 015- Occupy Queen Street- what you need to bring.

People who strongly feel the issue of political censorship is one that needs to be addressed BEFORE the next GA on 15/10/11, please attend the meeting at 7pm tonight at the Unite National Office.

When: Monday, October 10 - 7:00pm to 10:00pm

Unite office
6a western springs road
Auckland, New Zealand.