The Rank Hypocrisy of Louise Upston | The Jackal

23 May 2026

The Rank Hypocrisy of Louise Upston

There is a particular variety of cruelty that only the wealthy can practise with a straight face. It is the cruelty of the well-housed legislating against the homeless, the generously subsidised cutting the meagre subsidies of the destitute, all while wrapping the enterprise in the sanctimonious language of fiscal responsibility, personal accountability, and, one can scarcely believe their hyperbole, claims of fairness.

Louise Upston, the Minister for Social Development and Employment, has proven herself a virtuoso of precisely this type of political propaganda.

Let us begin with what Stuff revealed this week, a disclosure so brazen in its hypocrisy that one might have assumed, in a more just and attentive political culture, it would end a ministerial career on the spot.

Upston claims $1,000 per week in accommodation assistance from the Government for living in her own flat in Wellington, a flat she owns freehold, and she isn't subject to the same asset testing or income testing applied to state tenants or to recipients of the Accommodation Supplement she now seeks to restrict.

One thousand dollars a week. Fifty-two thousand dollars a year. From the public purse. Into her own pocket. For the privilege of sleeping, at taxpayer expense, in a property she owns outright.

On Thursday 22 May 2026, Stuff reported:


Minister seeking tougher accommodation supplement criteria claims $1000 a week housing allowance 

Louise Upston wouldn’t answer questions about whether she would meet the eligibility threshold she is seeking to enforce for New Zealanders claiming accommodation supplements from the Government.

MPs who live outside of Wellington are entitled to an accommodation allowance to pay for housing in the capital.

Ministerial expense claims show the social development minister claims $1000 per week, while the pecuniary interests register shows she jointly owns an apartment in Wellington. It does not show any mortgage debts owed.

The amount Upston claimed last year was $52,000, on top of her $320,600 ministerial salary.


This would be, in ordinary times, merely a story about a politician who lacks the self-awareness God gave a houseplant. But these aren't ordinary times, and Upston isn't merely any politician helping herself to what she regards as an entitlement she is entitled to. She is, simultaneously and without apparent embarrassment, the architect of legislation designed to make the Accommodation Supplement harder for low-income New Zealanders to access.

The Social Security (Jobseeker Support and Accommodation Supplement) Amendment Bill, introduced by Upston on 14 May 2026, lifts the threshold at which homeowners can claim the Accommodation Supplement from 30 percent of their income up to 40 percent, leaving the calculation tighter than at any time since the supplement was introduced in 1993. Those who cannot meet that threshold, low-income homeowners already stretched thin by mortgage payments, rates, and insurance in an unforgiving housing market, will simply go without.


On 14 May 2026, RNZ reported:

 

Accommodation supplement change raises concern

A critic says a change to the accommodation supplement rules is expected to push some households further into poverty.

The Social Security Amendment Bill was introduced in Parliament on Thursday.

It introduces changes that were signalled in the 2025 Budget, which the government said were designed to better target financial assistance and ensure the sustainability of the welfare system.

It introduces a parental assistance test for 18- and 19-year-old JobSeeker applicants and adjusts the calculation for the accommodation supplement.

Homeowners will be assessed based on contributing 40 percent - not 30 percent - of their income to housing costs before they are eligible for a subsidy.

Child Poverty Action Group spokesperson Isaac Gunson said even households that could meet that threshold would experience "deeper after-housing-cost poverty".


Read that again. Deeper poverty. For families. For children.

And here is the woman responsible, cashing her thousand dollars a week from the same government she leads, for the same class of expense she now tells struggling New Zealanders they must bear a greater share of themselves. The hypocrisy isn't incidental. It is structural. It is woven into the very fabric of what this nasty government is and what it stands for: one rule for those inside the charmed circle of parliamentary entitlement, and an entirely different and harsher rule for everyone else.

Upston's hostility to the welfare of the most vulnerable doesn't begin or end with accommodation. When officials presented her with advice that $3 billion a year was needed to fix child poverty, Upston rejected it, telling RNZ that the government "disagreed with this approach, as it would further entrench long-term welfare dependency."

Three billion dollars to lift children out of hardship, dismissed. Meanwhile, $52,000 a year to house a freehold-property-owning Cabinet minister in her own apartment, that, apparently, is a legitimate and unremarkable use of the public's money.

On 23 September 2024, RNZ reported:

 

Louise Upston rejects official advice $3b a year needed to fix child poverty

The coalition government disagrees with advice provided by officials that $3 billion a year is needed to reach the country's child poverty reduction target.

Minister for Child Poverty Reduction Louise Upston said the government was taking a different approach to the previous Labour government.

Obviously, making poor people poorer isn't going to reduce child poverty.


A ministerial briefing from Treasury, released to RNZ, shows officials in April this year did not believe the poverty targets were "realistically achievable".

Documents showed year-on-year progress was not on track and meeting the targets "would require investment in the region of $3 billion per year".

Officials presented Upston with two alternative targets for 2028 that they believed could be achieved.


There is, too, the matter of the Social Security (Accident Compensation and Calculation of Weekly Income) Amendment Act, a piece of legislation so precisely calibrated to harm the already-injured that it is difficult to see it as anything other than punitive in intent.

The legislation came after a significant High Court ruling against the Ministry of Social Development, which found that MSD could not require people to pay back supplementary assistance, including accommodation supplements and winter energy payments, once they had received backdated compensation from ACC. Many of those affected had been waiting, sometimes for months, for ACC to process their claims, and had relied on welfare support in the interim. The courts ruled in their favour.

On 17 February 2026, RNZ reported:

 

Incoming law change so MSD can claw back welfare payments off ACC clients

The government has introduced legislation so the welfare system can legally claw back payments when someone has been backpaid for an ACC claim.

Social Development and Employment Minister Louise Upston moved a motion of urgency to introduce the Social Security (Accident Compensation and Calculation of Weekly Income) Amendment Bill shortly after 7.30pm.

It comes after a significant High Court ruling against the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) on the recovery of welfare payments late last year.

The ruling said MSD couldn't require people to pay back supplementary assistance they'd received (like accommodation supplements and winter energy payments) once they had been paid back-dated compensation from Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC).


So a motion of urgency to introduce another punitive bill, rushing the legislation through under cover of darkness to override a court decision that had, for a brief and inconvenient moment, protected some of the most vulnerable people in the country from having their already-modest support clawed back.

This is the pattern. A court finds in favour of the poor. The government legislates the finding away, under urgency, before anyone has the opportunity to object or even read the rushed legislation.

Anti-poverty groups, including the Child Poverty Action Group and Disabled Persons Assembly NZ, have previously urged Upston to reverse funding cuts to respite for carers, cuts made without notice by her predecessor and inherited without correction. The silence from the Minister to their concerns was characteristically deafening.


It bears repeating that this is all happening within a broader coalition government that has consistently, methodically, and without visible remorse set about making New Zealand a more divided and impoverished society.

The gap between those who have and those who do not isn't a regrettable accident of economic circumstance under this government. It is a policy outcome. It is, to be specific, the intended result of a programme that taxes the poor through benefit cuts, strips protections through legislative urgency, and rewards the already-comfortable with even more taxpayer wealth that they are selfishly squandering.

Louise Upston stands as an emblem of that socially destructive programme. She talks the language of compassion, and she has, publicly, rejected the term "beneficiary bashing", while prosecuting policies that leave children in deeper poverty, overridden court decisions protecting the injured, and cut the support networks of the disabled. And she does all of this while pocketing $52,000.00 each year to sleep in her own freehold apartment.

If there is a better example of what this coalition is, and what it thinks of the people it governs, one would be hard pressed to find it.